Many times I get a really great comment on one of my posts and I want to reply to that commenter, but when I click on reply in my email program, it says the email address is "NoReply-Comment@blogger.com" because that person has their preferences set to NOT allow replies to their comments via email. Another situation I run into is that I discover a new follower on my blog and I want to go see their blog and follow them back, but when I click on their profile picture I get a list of blogs that they are following, but no link to their own blog. Why, because they have not taken the time to add their own blogs to their Google/Blogger profile.
If you don't want to share this information with everyone that clicks on your profile, then at least include your blog url in your comment so I can find you and your blog. I ALWAYS follow back, unless your blog is terribly offensive or your comment was spam. But if I cannot find your blog, then I cannot possibly follow you back.
You can have a perfectly wonderful blog, but if you don't share it with the world, no one will find it. So Update your Google and/or Blogger profile today! It is really easy to do.
Well, maybe 1, 2, 3....7, 8, 9. But it is really easy!
Let's start with the Google Profile.
- Just go to http://google.com (if you are not already signed in, then sign in with your google ID).
- At the top-right of the page you will see a link that says "Settings", click on it.
- Select "Google Account Settings"
- In the First section titled "Profile" click on the link that says "Edit Profile"
- Off to the right you see some check boxes that say "Display my full name..." you can check this box if you want your full name displayed but you don't have too.
- The next one says "Allow people to contact me without displaying my email address" click that box so that when you comment on a post, the blogger can hit reply to the comment they receive via email and reply back to you to thank you for your comment, or to respond in some way to your comment.
- Down below that you will see another section titled LINKS. You should see a list of blogs linked to you (Your blogs), if you don't, then you need to enter your blog URL and Blog Name in the spaces below to add them to the list. If you have more than one blog (like I do) then add them all if you like.
- To the right of that you will see "MY Links" to show what all links you have added. You can put them in a different order if you like, such as the most important being at the top, by clicking on the up or down arrows next to each link.
- Before leaving this page, be sure to click the "Save Changes" link at the bottom.
Now let's update the Blogger Profile.
- Follow the instructions from Steps 1, 2, and 3 above.
- In the second section, under 'My Products' you will see "Blogger -Edit" ~ Click on the Edit link.
- A new page opens that says User Profile. The first option says "Share My Profile" that box should be checked.
- Below that is the option to "Show My Email Address" this makes it possible for me to reply to your comments via email, (or find your email address if you Won a Giveaway) so check that box.
- Below that is says "Show My Blogs" with a link that says "Select Blogs to Display" click on it.
- A new page opens with a list of your blogs. Put a check in the boxes next to the blogs you want people to be able to find when they click on your profile picture in a GFC Follow box, or when you comment on a post.
- Be sure to click "Save the Settings" before leaving this page.
- Then click the "Edit Profile" link near the top to be taken back to your profile where you can do other things like add a picture and a Display Name, as well as some other general information that you may or may not want to share with others.
- Before leaving this page, be sure to click the "Save Profile" link at the bottom.
Now when you post a comment on my blog (or anyone else's) and when someone clicks on your name or profile picture, they will be able to find YOUR blog too. If you post a really thoughtful comment on my post, I will be able to reply with an equally thoughtful email back to you.
This is how we make the world a little smaller...by sharing and getting to know each other through our blogs. I hope this post was helpful. It seemed like the easiest way to tell everyone at once about the situation where we cannot find you after you follow or comment.