Sunday, October 2, 2011

How I spent my 1st day of Retirement...

For my first official day of retirement we wanted to do something relaxing and fun.  Out of habit I checked my email the moment I woke up.  Had a few requests from shoppers to buy some of the products that we still had available, so I quickly sent them a Paypal invoice and put the phone down. 

We decided to go for a drive in the country with another couple.  We first thought about exploring some nearby ghost towns, but that soon changed to a drive in the mountains to look at the changing colors of fall...my favorite time of year.

We chose a forest service road that went between Rico and Durango, Colorado that would drop us out at the back of Purgatory Ski Resort.  There was no cell service for the entire trip...nice!  It took us a little over 3 hours of actual driving time to make the 20 something mile trek...if that is any indication of how treacherous the roads were.  I took lots of pictures but most of them were blurry because we were bouncing quite a bit during the drive.  I really need to get a real camera instead of using my phone.  But just look at these beautiful colors.  The Aspens are in mid color-change.
 

They are a brilliant yellow that almost looks like neon.  In about another week or two these will be mixed with a vibrant red color as well.  Then all the leaves will fall off for the winter. 

Here is an example of the roads...this one was washed away by a creek that over-grew its normal path.  And the picture below that shows how the roads switch-back on itself as we made our way up the mountain, then down the other side.  I am not sure of the elevation of this mountain but I know that at the peak we were above the natural tree line -tree's will not grow that high.


The day was beautiful and the views were magnificent.  Just look at this picture...there is just something about a moss-covered rock that makes me feel at peace in the world.


After this lovely drive, with a few stops here and there for 'nature-stops' and a picnic lunch, we came home and I totally cleaned all of the old restaurant left-overs out of the fridge.  Pretty bare huh?  I am so tired of having to eat out most nights of the week because I worked too darn late to come home and cook.  Now that I am retired I cannot wait to stock my fridge and pantry with lots of staples and start cooking again.  I really enjoy cooking. 



Tonight I cooked Tamale Pie from scratch!  We stopped at the Nature Oasis Market in Durango before heading home today and I was inspired to make something really different that would be delicious.  Terry suggested Tamale Pie.  I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill Coarse Grind Corn Meal and this is what I created.It tasted so delicious. (sorry I forgot to take a picture of it)  I still need to tweak the recipe a bit more.  The flavor was awesome, but the crust was not quite right, but really close.

So that is how I spent my first day of Retirement.  I look forward to many more wonderful days spending quality time with my sweetie in the future.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend your first day of retirement. I hope to take a fall leaf trip some day. No leaves to change colors down here on the coast. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your retirement. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds (and looks) fabulous! The pictures you took are just gorgeous, and I'm impressed with the quality, especially considering they're from your phone!! Here in Phx the leaves don't change color. I am very much looking forward to our annual trip to Sedona to see the leaves changing!
    Please share your recipe for Tamale Pie once you've perfected it! Sounds delicious!!
    How was day 2 of retirement??!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun trip and I love tamale pie!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this post. Be sure to include the url of your blog so I can visit you too!

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila